What are cookies?
Cookies are extremely common, and the majority of modern websites you visit will employ their use in one way or another. Their uses are wide and varied, and can include the ability to remember information such as your preferences on sites you visit frequently, your user ID, and the contents of your shopping basket. They can also help to ensure that advertisements you see online are more relevant to you and your interests, and can approximate geographical location to improve your user experience.
Some websites also contain images known as ‘web beacons’. Web beacons only collect limited information, including a cookie number, a timestamp, and a record of the page on which they are placed. Websites can also carry web beacons placed by third-party advertisers. These beacons do not carry any personally identifiable information, and are purely used to track the effectiveness of a particular campaign (for example by looking at visitor statistics).
Information collected by cookies is now classed as personal data under GDPR.
We respect our users’ privacy, and do everything we can to protect and maintain it. As such, we never sell or rent out the information contained in these cookies to third parties. We believe that your experience with using the site would be diminished should you opt not to receive the cookies we currently use.
What types of cookies are there, and which are used on Veloce websites?
- Persistent cookies – These remain on a user’s device for a set period of time, as specified by the cookie itself. They are activated each time the user visits the website for which it was created, and once the expiration date is reached the file is automatically deleted.
- Session cookies – These exist only for as long as the user continues the current browsing session that they are currently in. Once the user closes the browser, the file is automatically deleted.
As well as these two types, there are broadly four main functions that cookies can have, categorised as ‘strictly necessary’, ‘performance’, ‘functionality’, and ‘targeting’ cookies.
- Strictly necessary – These cookies are required to navigate around a website and use its features as intended. Without accepting them, basic functions such as adding items to your shopping basket would no longer work.
- Performance – Performance cookies are used to collect data for statistical purposes on how visitors use a website. They do not contain any personal information, and are used to improve your experience when using a website.
- Functionality – These cookies allow users to alter how a website looks or operates for them, and to remember these choices. This can include remembering usernames, language preferences, and locations.
- Targeting – Targeting cookies are used to deliver advertisements that are more relevant to you, as well as limiting how many times you see the same advertisement. They can also keep track of the effectiveness of an ad campaign, and provide security in transactions.
Veloce Publishing uses both persistent and session cookies on its websites, as well as cookies with the strictly necessary, performance and functionality functions detailed above.
Opting out of cookies
If you opt out, we will be unable to anonymously analyse your use of the website, and make appropriate enhancements.
Changes to the Cookie Notice
The Cookie Notice was last updated on 11th June 2018.
Get the latest news, competitions and offers delivered straight to your inbox ... you'd be barking not to!
Get in touch
Dog & Bone
+44 (0) 1305 260068
Snail Mail / Carrier Pigeon
Click here for our address