A Talking Dogs Scentwork® Manual
About the book
As a drug detector dog handler with HM Customs & Excise, Pam Mackinnon searched all over the UK, from oil rigs to cruise ships, postal depots to airports, and vehicles to houses. Combining her detection skills with her work as a dog training and behaviour consultant, Pam developed the UK's most successful scentwork training programme that teaches all dogs to become detector dogs. With almost 30 years’ experience, you and your dog are in safe hands as Pam takes you through each stage of scentwork, beginning with introducing your dog to a specific scent, through starter searches, and on to advanced work, indoors and out. Aided by illustrations and full colour photographs of many different breeds at work, this manual will open up a whole new world of activities that you and your dog can enjoy together.
Detector dog by Pam Mackinnon BA DipCABT
- Training techniques suitable for all dogs – not just working dogs
- An emphasis on working in co-operation with your dog: true teamwork!
- Clear, coherent and comprehensive breakdown of how to teach scentwork
- Dedicated to searching for specific scents, rather than confusing a dog with tracking
- Scent teams are taken on a journey, from starter to advanced searches
- Addresses handling skills front and centre as keys to success
- Includes a great variety of ideas for searches, indoors and out
- Technical and practical explanations for searching in specific ways
- Reveals how safe searching is integral to good scentwork practice
- Based on operational skills combined with training and behavioural knowledge
NOTES TO EDITORS
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Pam Mackinnon has been a professional dog trainer for almost 30 years. Building on her skills as a drug detector dog handler for HM Customs, and combining these with her experience as a pet dog trainer and behaviourist, she founded Talking Dogs Scentwork®. Now working exclusively on scentwork, Pam's previous experience includes being a trainer for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, the behaviourist for Wood Green Animal Shelters, and a puppy trainer for Dr Ian Dunbar. Helping pet dogs learn about scentwork is endlessly interesting and rewarding for trainer, dog and owner. Positively addictive!
Place of birth: Dumbarton, Scotland
Hometown: Whittlesey, Peterborough
Nearest city: Cambridge
HH4963 • Paperback • 22x17cm • £12.99 • 112 pages • 79 colour and b&w pictures • ISBN: 978-1-845849-63-4 • UPC: 6-36847-04963-8
Front cover images are available from Hubble & Hattie from email@example.com, or can be copied from our website at https://www.hubbleandhattie.co.uk/resources/Hback+PbackCoverPanelsFS/HH4963.jpg
Hubble & Hattie books are stocked by (or can be ordered from) bookshops by quoting the book ISBN number.
We also take orders direct:
Telephone 01305 260068 (+44 1305 260068 from outside UK), Fax 01305 250479 (+44 1305 250479 from outside UK) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Books can also be ordered on our website – https://www.hubbleandhattie.co.uk
Twitter (Hubble & Hattie): https://twitter.com/HubbleandHattie
Facebook (Hubble & Hattie): https://www.facebook.com/hubbleandhattie
Twitter (Veloce): https://twitter.com/Velocebooks
Facebook (Veloce): https://www.facebook.com/VelocePublishing
Note: All details subject to change.
Contains press copy, cover and samples