Lily: one in a million
A miracle of survival
Lily, a one-in-a-million dog!
- From the moment Lily was born, clearly something was seriously wrong
- Hanging onto life by her little nails, Lily was losing her grip
- A typical Golden Retriever, Lily loves food. But eating it is the problem
- Lily’s story brings hope to owners of animals with difficult conditions
- Whoever heard of a dog who can't eat; can't even lap water?
- Every feed, we take on ‘The Triple S Challenge’: Single, Silent Swallows
- "Lily certainly ticks the 'Unusual' box," is the opinion of her veterinary specialist
- Solids are a problem for Lily. Unbelievably, liquids are an even bigger problem!
- The Pets As Therapy assessment was very demanding - but Lily passed with flying colours!
- Lily enriches the lives of others
Lily was only four minutes old, nursing at her mother’s side; already milk was pouring out of her nose and mouth, soaking her and everything around her. Receiving so little nourishment, she wasn’t thriving, and within weeks she had a respiratory infection. Euthanasia was compassionately suggested to spare her further distress – even if she lived at all. Against all the odds, however, her owner decided that this sweet little puppy should have a chance at life.
Laura weaned Lily early, letting her lick puppy mousse from her fingertip. A month later, she was hand-feeding Lily pieces of water-soaked puppy kibble one at a time during frequent feeds, but still the puppy choked with almost every swallow. Eventually, Lily was diagnosed with a swallowing disability ... extremely rare ... and incurable.
Amazingly, Lily has survived against the odds due to the creative and intensive management of her condition. Her story may give hope to others, and inspire them not to give up their animals who may have life-threatening conditions.
Lily even became a Pets As Therapy dog, and helps in schools and residential care homes – she truly is a working miracle.